I'm sure by now you would have all heard that Apple are currently preparing the Yerba Buena Center for their 'Spring Forward' event on the 9th March 2015. Given we are less than a week away I thought I would write up a post going over what I expect to see at the event and any surprises that we may (hopefully) see.
It's all about the watch
Yes, given the timing (Tim Cook has stated several times that we will see it sometime in April) Apple will want to get as much attention as possible to highlight the key selling points to wet all of our appetites before pre-orders. I expect the event to highlight more of the unknowns (see later on in this post) and show off some new apps that have been developed by third parties.
What are the unknowns?
- Price points; we know that the Apple Watch Sport will be around $349 but we are currently in the dark on the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition. Speculation is going wild at the moment about pricing with the Apple Watch Edition with ranges from $5000 to $20000 and fingers crossed this can all stop in less than a week and we can get on with deciding the model we are going to get
- Bands; we have seen the bands in the video but we are none the wiser as to which bands fit which watches and what the price of them will be. I've noticed that in the stores recently they have the full range of Apple cases out of their boxes for you to test before you buy, I'm wondering if this is a precursor to the bands being on show so that you can go in with yours and swap them around to test. Personally I think that all bands are going to fit all watches, it would be crazy if they didn't do this. Apple can make money on all of the extra bands people are going to purchase and logistically it makes things a lot smoother
- What apps will be available; we have seen a selection of the Apple apps in the on stage demo but we haven't got a feel for what third parties are going to be able to do, this event should highlight some of the key apps via on stage demos
- Distribution; Can we pre-order?, will the gold edition be in store?, Can I try it on in the store?...
One more thing?
It's possible but I wouldn't bet my house on it. There are only two items that I could think of
- Beats; we could see a demo or announcement on the future of the beats app and streaming service, this sits separate to the headphones that will remain unchanged
- Apple TV; I'm on the fence here, I don't see a hardware announcement but maybe some talks around content deals or how iOS updates are coming to the current hardware
I'm looking forward to the event and will be live blogging via the Apple stream so follow me for all of the info.