Apple yesterday released it's first update for the Apple Watch - Watch OS 1.0.1. It's release was a surprise to me but as with other products as they come out within a month or so an update normally follows so not out of the ordinary.
How to install
Installing the update was pretty straightforward, you simply use the iOS companion app then go to General --> Software Update it will then check the Apple servers and start to download. This took about 20 minutes for me (from an initial indication of 5 minutes) but it was to be expected with everyone hitting the servers downloading.
There are a couple of things to make note of:
- Make sure you have at least 50% charge on your Watch
- Plug your Watch into the charger (the installation won't work until you do)
My Watch was at 50% but wasn't plugged in so I waited to go to bed that evening before installing the downloaded update, this took about 10 minutes in total.
I've only used the new OS for a few hours and already started to take note of a few improvements that Apple have made:
- The UI seems a little slicker, going from app to app and getting to the watch face seems a bit quicker to my eyes
- Wrist detection has been improved, now when I angle my wrist (even when my arm is straight on a desk) it activates the watch (it will be interesting to see how this changes my battery life)
- The workout app asks you to take your iPhone out with you on using the updated OS
- The workout app has less delay in saving the workout summary
What's not included
I know this is only the first release so I'm not being too picky I just wanted to highlight a couple of apps that I feel Apple should be working on
- Reminders, I still think it's a bit mad that Apple haven't created us a Watch native reminders app - at the moment I'm using a third party solution but would prefer to see this from Apple
- Notes, again as above a native Notes app would be great for creating notes on the go or referencing notes e.g I have used Evernote to bring up pass codes for door combinations
So, overall a good update and so far (fingers crossed) I haven't seen any problems with the update that leads me to believe it wasn't properly tested i.e. no school boy errors with this update.
Please bookmark the site and stay tuned for more great Apple Watch news and articles.