There have been a lot of posts lately about the state of Apple core apps and as someone that almost lives on iOS I wanted to share my thoughts also.
Generally iOS is solid for me, it's fast, I have plenty of apps and with the iPad Pro it's got me using it almost full time. There are bugs in the system, like any OS but on the whole I believe it's the platform for me.
I have to believe that employees at Apple use their own apps but with the amount of niggles that I have encountered and functionality light core apps I feel that Apple need to make sure they use their own apps - especially for productivity. If they ran one project using Notes and Reminders they would see the holes and hopefully improve their apps in a meaningful way.
Here are my thoughts on some of their core apps.
As soon as Apple Music was released last year I jumped on board, it even got me to cancel my spotify account at the time. I've stuck with the service and although I do have my gripes it's the fact that I have my own music and streamed all one app that keeps me there.
- I have all of my music in one place
- It has the biggest collection (for my tastes) available out there
- 3D Touch enabled
- Songs get in a stuck downloading state almost daily (especially on WiFi weirdly)
- The UI takes a while to get used to for new users
- Connect shouldn't be a tab
- Let us reorder our tabs, I want My Music first
- I get a constant 'An Error has occurred' on the 'For You' screen
I've tried (and tried) to use Reminders as my daily to do app, it's so flakey I feel that it could break at any moment. What doesn't fill me with confidence is that when I raise radar reports against any Reminders bugs they don't get a lot of attention or get closed without any feedback, this doesn't give me confidence that they are even using it internally.
- I can create a Reminder via SIRI
- 3D Touch enabled
- iCloud sync works really well, I haven't had any problems
- The Today view on notification center is slow and often doesn't display anything
- The top/bottom navigation is old fashioned, I want a left to right navigation style
- No free form today view I.e. I want to quickly create a list of what I want to accomplish today regardless of the time
- No Apple Watch app
Notes has come on leaps and bounds, I have no issues I only mention it as I want Apple to take note and use it as an example of what they could do with Reminders.
I've only highlighted a few apps and need to tell myself that Apple core apps are a starting point not meant to be fully functioning for power users.
I'd love to know what core apps you use?