I’ve been using an Apple Watch Sport since the day of release in April last year and wanted to write up my thoughts on how I have been using it every day since then (spoiler - I really love it)...
What is my set up?
When I picked up the Apple Watch I decided to go for the most affordable option at 42MM so I have a Sports Model, the only expense afterwards was picking myself up an Apple Leather loop. I tend to switch straps every few weeks to change things up and also the sport is better in the summer as I’ve found the leather does get a bit sweaty if it’s a hot day.
What I am using it for?
- Notifications - All of the important notifications on my wrist is great and I’ve found that it’s helped me calm down the amount of them that are hitting me daily
- Telling the time - Yes, it sounds stupid as I write this but it’s a lot quicker using the traditional method of telling time rather than me hitting my sleep/wake button on my iPhone
- Messages - I reply to messages all of the time on my watch, it’s always with me and voice dictation is much improved
- Music control - I play guitar and listen to a lot of music, this comes in so handy E.g. I have my pedals on the floor playing along with something via my iPhone plugged into them. I can reach down to the floor risking banging my guitar on the desk or I can just tap on my watch to do it
- Complications - I only use one third party complication (Dark Sky) but and become dependant on Calendar, Timer and Activity
- Heath - I monitor my steps (trying to do 10k steps a day) and general activity so being able to track without my iPhone is a big bonus
- Timers - I set timers all of the time for cooking and getting me moving out of my chair (I don't find standing notifications that reliable)
- Apple Pay - I still feel a little self conscious using my watch to pay for goods but I pay with my watch almost all the time now, it's accepted in a lot of places here in the UK and all I need is the major supermarkets to switch to contactless and I will be able to use it for 90% of what I buy on a week to week basis
- Third party apps - I have used third party apps in the past but find them to be slow so give up waiting for it to load therefore gotten out of the habit of using them - the only one that I use daily is Dark Sky
- More watch face choices or third part faces - I’d love some more options E.g. something with more complications against an image
- Ability to have dual complications - If I’m not currently using a timer please let me display another complication in it’s place until I need it
- Native Reminders and Notes app - You might think I’m mad but I’d like quick access to Notes and Reminders on my watch E.g. quick access to a locker code or door lock etc…
- Sleep tracking - The battery doesn’t support it totally but Apple should give us native sleep tracking and let us manage the battery ourselves
- Stand - Doesn't feel reliable E.g. why am I getting a stand notification when I am in the car? I'd prefer a MOVE AROUND notifications instead, subtle change but makes more sense I feel
- Hardware - I like the hardware but find that I rarely use the side button and I wish it was a bit quicker. I find that there is lag when I fire up apps and even just loading a timer can sometimes take a few seconds
I’m glad I bought an Apple Watch overall, it’s a shame that it’s not fully lived up to it’s potential with Third Party apps but for a Gen 1 product I feel that Apple have done enough to keep me using it. I rely on it daily and when I don’t wear it feel that I’m missing out.
It's helped me gain some control over my activity level and made me really aware of how active I am. I set a timer every 45 minutes to get me out of my chair and moving around to help my prevent any back problems.
I’m really looking forward to what we have in store this year with new rumoured hardware and an OS update at WWDC’16.
Let me know what you use your watch for daily in the comments.