There are some great posts that have been written about what iOS 10 might bring us, like my personal favourite from MacStories. Quite frankly I am not going to be able to match what Federico Viticci has done here so I wanted to concentrate on what features we might see (more like what I'd like to see) from a productivity perspective.
I've tried third party apps for my calendar but always come back to the stock app, here are a couple of items I'd like looked at
- Revamped UI to help see your day at a glance easily, I still get in trouble trying to view all of my entries in one scrolling view - it's not intuitive
- Integration with Reminders so that I can see everything going on in my day
- Dark mode; the calendar is pretty stark and there is a lot of white, as with anything else a dark mode is much easier on the eyes (IMO) and I look at this app a lot. Personally I don't see a Dark Mode coming to all of iOS but giving us a few options for key apps or the keyboard would be nice
- 3D Touch shortcut that allows me to see my day at a glance (like in Notification Center)
If you have followed me for a while you will know that I play with TO DO apps a lot, in fact it's a bit of a problem to actually getting anything done.
I wanted to get back to using Reminders as my app of choice so that I could (hopefully) benefit from better integration in iOS 10 and raise bugs, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one doing it with Reminders but thankfully anything that I've raised over the last year has been addressed, especially over the last few months - this gives me confidence it's at last getting some attention rather than the side project it's always felt to me.
Here are few changes I'd like to see
- Ability to quickly mark an item as due today
- Swipe to quickly defer an item until tomorrow
- Natural language support E.g. "Get Milk tomorrow at 10am" will create a new reminder, we already have third party apps that use this method for creation
- Free form today view I.e. No due time but only date, I know it's a hard concept to get across but I just want to say I need to complete tasks A,B today and not be prompted for a time
- A Scheduled view that works, at the moment if you manage more than a few tasks (I regularly have at least 10 things due in a day) the UI glitches become very apparent E.g. If you create a new reminder within the Scheduled today view quite often it defaults to a time you haven't created for it or will inherit the settings of the task before it in the list
Notes got a massive update in iOS 9 and has become my daily note taking app, replacing Evernote - I'd however like to see a few improvements
- Tagging of a note E.g. Work, Health etc
- Subfolders, I might be over complicating a simple app but one folder structure doesn't suit all of my needs
- Ability to add a lined document, sounds strange but I find the lined paper in Noteability to be great for keeping your text more like how you would in an actual notebook I.e. In a straight line and small
- Create a reminder from a note without having to invoke SIRI
I use Mail to manage all of my accounts (yes, even Google ones), I like it and after having a good think about the app the only change that I would like to see is the ability to create a Reminder from a Mail.
3D Touch has been nicely implemented generally I feel but to get things done quicker in iOS there could be some deeper integration E.g. In Control Center 3D Touch the WIFI button and it shows the last few hotspots you have connected to.
Split View Multitasking
I'm in split view multitasking a lot on my 12.9" iPad Pro, I'm in it most of the time when I'm writing and can keep a research Safari view open on the right hand pane. This was a massive change to iOS and really turned the iPad into a productivity device (for me at least) but it does take too long to select the apps that you want to view in the right hand pane.
At the moment you have to scroll from top to bottom picking from a list of every app that supports this mode, it takes a while if you have a lot of apps on your iPad. I'd like to see a way that you can add favourites or a pick list of apps that you want to see in this list. Given how rudimentary it current is I have to think that Apple are at least working on this, whether we get it in iOS 10 is another question.
WWDC is just around the corner
So, I've listed a good few changes that I would like to see in iOS 10 from a productivity perspective and given we are only weeks away from WWDC '16 at this point the excitement is starting to build. I have a feeling it's going to be a big one and I'm very much looking forward to it.
What do you want to see in iOS 10?