If you have been following me for a while you will know that I change my TO DO apps every few weeks, I think it’s an illness I have but I find it fascinating to try new apps and workflows. When testing the beta of iOS 10 back in June though I decided to stick with my default - Apple Reminders.
I figured that if I test it then at least I can raise all the items I’m not happy about and then not complain when the app doesn’t get the features I want.
In terms of my workflow I operate on a kind of GTD (Getting Things Done) basis, it’s very simple
- I have an INBOX for everything - everything I think of goes in here to start
- I have a PROJECT for anything that’s more than one task
- I have a weekly review
- I schedule all items due with a date/time rather than leave them open
This isn’t strictly everything that GTD tells us but it’s what I took away and in my opinion the most important thing I.e. read the guidance and adapt to the way that you like to work.
For me a TO DO app needs to do a few things well
- Sync across all of my devices reliably
- Have an app on all platforms I work with
- Allow me to complete/move tasks at a notification level
- Show me a compact view of what I have on today
I tend to lean towards a list per purpose and/or project so something like
- LJPUK - Articles
Basically the way I work is to have projects as separate lists (if it contains more than one task).
I utilise three widgets in iOS 10 as part of my daily routine
- UP NEXT (combines calendar and reminders to show you what you need to do next)
- Calendar (shows me what I have on for the day)
- Reminders (shows me what I have to get done)
We used to be able to snooze in increments, this has been removed unfortunately in iOS 10. I use the notifications to complete or remind me in an hour.
At last, watchOS 3 brings up Reminders on the Apple Watch - I use both the app to complete and it's complication.
I have found over the last few years that sync has gotten a lot better for Apple Reminders and is the most reliable platform I’ve used for my TO DO app of choice.
Colours for progress
You can change the colour of each list, not a lot of options but I tend to use the following
- Red = project is on hold
- Blue = inbox
- Green = creative projects
Make sure you create a new item in your inbox called ‘Weekly review’, there’s no point in putting everything in your system and you not using it. I spend about 1/2 hour a week just looking at what’s in there and marking off what isn’t relevant.
Get to it
Now you have seen how I do it, have you got any tips to share?