There are many pros and cons to the constantly connected world we live in today but one of the many pros that I use on an almost daily basis is the ability to write and manage my blog on the go. I use various apps that allow me to jot down my ideas, write up my posts and post to the site all directly from my iOS devices.
My go to devices are an iPad Mini, iPhone 6 and MacBook Pro and in this post I target how I transition between the devices I.e. I am at home starting a post, I then go out and about with my iOS device and continue to write or see something interesting that I want to post and add my comments to.
Writing on my Mac
I’ve used a few different tools for writing, everything from note taking apps to full on text editors. After several years of testing different apps I’ve settled on using IA Writer as my main tool for my writing. I like the way that it takes away distractions and allows me to focus on my writing.
So this is stage 1, I start to write a post (like this one) on my MacBook in IA Writer
So I’ve written up a draft or have a post I want to make to my blog, what apps do I take with me (on iPad or iPhone)
- IA Writer: The iOS versions have the same clean interface as the Mac versions and with iCloud integration you can take your documents with you
- Reminders.app: I use the in built reminders app on iOS to schedule posts and create a list of items that I want to write about
- Squarespace Blog: This app gives you access to your Squarespace site and allows you to post directly, it’s got a nice clean UI and allows you to do almost everything you can from the web interface
- Squarespace Metrics: Allows you to track your site hits and social numbers
- Notes.app: I use the in built Notes app when I’m thinking about a particular post or to just create a list of ideas
- From all of my testing I haven’t had any problems posting to my site or work on ideas, the iCloud sync has been solid and have run into very little problems.
Please let me know what apps you use to write to your site on the go.